What is SAP System Decommissioning?
SAP System Decommissioning: definition
Advantages of SAP system decommissioning
1. Cost Savings:
2. Enhanced Security:
3. Streamlined IT Landscape:
4. Regulatory Compliance:
5. Improved Data Management:
6. Business Agility:
7. Simplified System Maintenance:
Challenges faced while SAP system decommissioning
SAP System Decommissioning Process
1. Assess the Need for Decommissioning:
2. Define Decommissioning Objectives:
3. Create a Decommissioning Plan:
4. Data Analysis and Mapping:
5. Data Extraction and Archiving:
6. Implement Data Retention Policies:
7. Archive and Store Data:
8. Update System Documentation and Dependencies:
9. Communicate and Train Stakeholders:
10. Monitor and Evaluate:
11. Dispose or Retire Hardware and Licenses:
12. Post-Decommissioning Activities:
SAP system decommissioning offers several benefits, including:
- Cost savings by eliminating ongoing expenses related to maintenance, licensing fees, and hardware infrastructure.
- Enhanced security by reducing the attack surface and minimizing the chances of unauthorized access or data breaches.
- Streamlined IT landscape by reducing complexity and enhancing system performance.
- Regulatory compliance by meeting data retention requirements and legal obligations.
- Improved data management through data archiving for future analysis and reporting.
- Business agility through the redirection of resources towards strategic initiatives.
- Simplified system maintenance by reducing the number of systems to manage.
Challenges during SAP system decommissioning include data extraction and migration complexities, data retention and compliance, system dependencies, application retirement, data access and retrieval, employee training and transition, and project management and governance.
The SAP System Decommissioning process involves assessing the need, defining objectives, creating a plan, analyzing and mapping data, implementing data retention policies, archiving and storing data, updating documentation, communicating with stakeholders, monitoring and evaluating progress, disposing or retiring hardware and licenses, and conducting post-decommissioning activities.
ViewBox provides an efficient SAP archiving solution for preserving data during an SAP system migration to SAP HANA, helping organizations manage legacy information, meet regulatory requirements, and optimize their technology landscape while reducing migration costs.